- 3-4 medium sized sweet palermo peppers
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves – finely chop 4 of them, leave the other 4 in their skins
- 2 stalks of celery – finely chopped
- 5 medium sized carrots – roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 veg stock cube
- ½ tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 700ml water
- Heat the oven on to 200ºC. Remove the stalks and seeds of the peppers and place whole in an oven dish. Add 4 garlic cloves still in their skins. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and cook for 25 mins.
- Heat some olive oil in a large pot and add chopped onion and garlic. Add turmeric and cook on medium heat for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato puree and celery and cook for a further 2 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock cube, water and bring to the boil.
- Chop roasted peppers once cool enough and remove skins from roasted garlic. Add both to pot along with chopped carrots.
- Place lid on pot and reduce to low heat. Simmer for 20 mins.
- Blend soup to desired consistency.