A unique blend of spices to create the perfect lentil dish
Preparation time: 15 minutes (to soak dhal)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Parsi Dhal is a unique blend of delicate spices to create the most delicious, hearty lentil dish. Just add 200g of your favourite lentils and 200g of tomatoes with a small amount of vinegar and sugar to create this amazing accompaniment to your meal – or have it as a meal in itself with warm naan or crusty bread.
At home, Xerxes often had dhal with a home-made biryani, kofta kebabs (spicy meatballs) or a piece of fried fish, along with boiled potatoes cooked with garlic, chilli and a sprinkling of coriander.
Dhal is also the middle element to the traditional, three layer meal that his mum would cook for them on birthdays or special occasions. The first layer being rice and the top layer being prawn or fish patia.
(*Please note the contents of the pack when purchased are suitable for vegans. Cooking instructions provided below are a guide and the Producer may recommend additional ingredients which may not be suitable. Non dairy and meat alternatives are just as tasty.)
- Soak 200g of lentils in hot water for 15 minutes, then drain remaining water.
- Lightly fry the contents of the spice kit in one tablespoon of ghee (or cooking oil) for two minutes.
- Stir in 200g of chopped tomatoes.
- Add two tablespoons of vinegar.
- Add two teaspoons of sugar.
- Add the lentils.
- Add 500ml of hot water and boil until the water is almost fully absorbed.
- Once cooked, blend if preferred.
Our preference is red split lentils, but you can experiment with any lentils, chickpeas or pulses.